The deadline for the ROCS Occasional Choral Composition Competition passed last night; we've received fourteen pieces so far (most but not all eligible, but let's put that aside for a moment):
- "Lady Cassandra", The Silent Trumpet
- "Joe Gasper", For Elise, Not My Niece
- "Seth Harper", When Icicles Hang by the Wall
- "Blanziflor Burana", Intuitions: song-cycle [in 3 movements: Break of Day, Measured Tones, Sound in Darkness]
- "Carol Lewis", Jabberwocky
- "TMI Bach", Prelude and Fugue on a Popular Song
- "Skye Nirvana", Work in 3 movements: I Got a Rock (no. 1), Child of the Universe, I Got a Rock (no. 16)
- "Emo Smith", The Dream
- "Honey Chicken", Sea of Faceless Grey
- "Bjørk Strangelove", This Old Man
- "WTF Bach", Pied Beauty
- "Shelly Bliss", Music, when Soft Voices die
- "Bruce Parry", Sonnet, "My Love, thou art not old"
- "Vatican III", Ave Maria
- ... and possibly another two!
And some manuscripts are due a little on the late side. Scores and MIDI files forthcoming soon...
(As you may have guessed, the identities of the composers are slightly obscured to protect the not-so-innocent. Only four "classic" authors are represented, namely Shakespeare, Shelley, Lewis Carroll, and Gerard Manley Hopkins: many composers have written their own texts.)